Education & Outreach
The NC4 Center includes a robust education and outreach plan to integrate undergraduate students from underrepresented groups into the research efforts at the center, and provide a pathway to graduate studies. We have developed an undergraduate research program aligned with the research objectives of the center, to provide undergrads with research experience and hands-on training beyond the classroom. We have also developed a bootcamp for professional development and mentorship of undergraduates. NC4 PIs identify and mentor senior design projects in the ECE and CSE departments that are aligned with the research objectives of the center. Undergraduates have summer internship opportunities within the center, with opportunities to continue research during the academic year. Finally, we are developing a colloquium series related to topics of interest at the center, with seminars from ARL leaders to undergrad students in ECE and CSE departments.
Year 1 Accomplishments
Developed an undergraduate research program aligned with the research objectives of the center.
- 27 undergrad students through Sept 2021
- All undergrads had research experience and hands-on training beyond the classroom
Graduate research training.
- 17 PhD students, 3 MS students (1 PhD student graduated)
Developed a bootcamp for professional development of undergraduates.
- Professional mentorship for undergraduate students; professional development workshop and roundtable discussion with academic and industrial mentors in Summer 2021
Identified senior design projects in ECE and CSE departments aligned with the research objectives at the center.
- Multiple senior design projects mentored by NC4 PIs
- Students learned about advanced concepts related to FNC3, beyond what is typical in undergrad curricula
Provided internship opportunities to undergraduate students.
- 13 of the undergrad students did rigorous summer internships at the center, getting hands-on experience, and many continued as researchers in the Fall
Developed a colloquium series related to topics of interest at the center.
- Seminars from ARL leaders to undergrad students in ECE and CSE departments: lectures in classes, professional development lectures